Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Pontiac grand prix 2000 tachometer disengages

Customer Question

pontiac grand prix 2000 tachometer disengages
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix that dies while driving and the steering wheel locks. The problem seems to be getting worse. It has done it for quite some time, been to the shop a few times, some ERG thing replaced (unauthorized) and it still does it! please help. I had seen the same problem posted and a previous article about a tachometer disengaging. I haven't been able to find the full chain to read. thank you
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Chad

You welcome

is there a check engine light on now?

have you had diagnostic scanned and retrieved fault codes?

when they replaced the EGR valve, did they clean the EGR Passage way ?

what was the good for EGR valave fault

can you get those fault codes retrieved ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried to call the shop. I had to leave a voicemail. The invoice reflects Mass Air Flow Sensor R & R, MAF Sensor, Note: M - Labor Database, Copyright Mitchell International, All rights reserved. The check engine light is not on

if you had a mass air flow fault code , while the car is running , if you unplug the mass airflow sensor the engine idle should change ,if it doesn't ,it means sensor not working or no power to it .

1- check all fuses first ,check the air breather hose is attached correctly from air box to throtle body and no air leaks

2- try to get me those fault code if possible , i will be online all day, if you get them,just post them back here and we can continue

i m online all day till 12 tonight

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do. I knew that shop visit did me no good. He did the work without my authorization and just ran with the error code. This was back in Dec 2012 and the problem remains. To be continued.

Hey susan

ok i got you , I will help you with it :)

Chad