Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Well a couple of things I believe, my serpentine belt

Customer Question

well a couple of things I believe, my serpentine belt slipped off the pulley under my power steering
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: about 124,000, but i rebuilt the engine so the engine only has maybe 85,000-90,000 my power steering went out a while back so i am wondering if that is the reason the pulley slipped out because it seems like there is a bolt missing
JA: What is the model of your '2147481646 Pontiac?
Customer: 2004 pontiac aztek awd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i took the pulley off myself, and I'm not sure yet if im going to try and fix it myself until I know how much it would cost and if i can fix it with fixing my power steering.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: how do i get the $5 to you?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: um like i said the power steering went out a while ago (6months-ish) and i want to know if that will HAVE to be fixed to fix my problem now?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

If your missing a bolt and the pump is moving and not mounted solid then it will throw the belt. Before you consider replacing any parts installing a new bolt and getting the pump mounted solid again needs to be done first. Once that is done and all the pulleys line up and all of them turn freely they that is likely all your going to need. Start with replacing the bolt and then make sure all pulleys turn freely and if so reinstall the belt. Let me know the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you it is not the power steering pump that is loose it is the pulley underneath it, that is loose. is there a bolt that goes through that specific pulley?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Because you only have one drive belt if any part of the system come loose it will not allow the belt to hold tension so the bolt needs to be replace. I suspect once you get everything tight again the problem will be solved and the belt should hold.