Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

My car runs and drives fine 5 or 6 minues then quit shft

Customer Question

my car runs and drives fine 5 or 6 minues then quit shft like it goes in to nuterall. shut the engine off let set*****fine for 15 min. or so and then does the same thing. the car is not over heating. 1995 pontiac 3100 v6 grand ptix se
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: no coolant leaks
JA: What is the model of your '95 Pontiac?
Customer: grand prix se 3100 v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: han the transaxel solonoid repace recently. no i,m to damn old to do the repair. i have a friend who is a certified helecopter mech who does a lot of my stuff for me. coulr it possible be the electronic control box
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

If you were to shift into 2nd or low range does it move then when this occurs or was this tried at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the transmission should not be over heatin' than car isnot running hot repace the therm sensor a while back the fans a working fine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the car wpuld not shift into and gear other than park
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with a worn out band or clutch in the transmission or an issue with the transmission valve body needing replaced.I have seen both cause this type of fault here.When you shut it down this is allow the component to cool off to where it operates properly from there again.

The transmission components will need inspected further internally to locate which component is the cause here and from there that component repaired or replaced to correct this issue.Unfortunately this may require a transmission fluid pressure test gauge for this model as well as a compatible scan tool to do testing and may also require at some point the transmission to be removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete