Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

My 2005 Grand Am won't go into Park, I had someone from

Customer Question

My 2005 Grand Am won't go into Park
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had someone from Triple A look at it and he tried shifting it manually under the hood and couldn't get it to shift
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I haven't noticed any additional problems prior to this
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's everything
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

OK, what is your mechanical ability? Are you able to remove the shift cable under the hood and attempt to shift with the cable off?

Essentially you need to determine if the fault is:

the transmission. (if when the cable is removed it still wont go into park it is inside the transmission.)

The cable, if the transmission will go into park, but still unable to use shifter to place in park with the cable disconnected from transmission you will need to disconnect cable from shifter and see if the shifter moves OK.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you havent left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.