Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years General Motors Technician, ASE Master Tech certified
71268010

I just bought a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville, it didn't come with

Customer Question

I just bought a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville, it didn't come with a manual & the radio is locked, can you assist me with a code?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 3 months ago.

can i get the complete VIN # please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1G2HY54K214207072
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still here?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello

The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode.
Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC).
Press and hold presets buttons 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 for approximately 10 seconds.
The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number.
Write this number down.
You will then have fifteen seconds max before the next step must be performed.
Press the AM/FM button.
The radio display changes to another three-digit number.
Write this number to the right of the first one.
You now have a six or four-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 3 and the last three digits are from STEP 5.
If you have a four digit number, it will show all four digits at the same time.
Example 4523.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thank u your other expert told us a bunch of steps just like u just said but what is the other mode u spoke of??? the radio says the word locked it will not give me any kind of code no matter what combo i try and he had us try a 30 min key on trick did not work eather ....

not sure ill have to opt out thats how you retrieve the code....either the radio has a issue or your doing something wrong..ill opt out maybe another expert has seen this before

Expert:  Edgar replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today, the radio need to be set up with the proper scan tool, unfortunately the dealer has the scan tool to set up the radio, if the radio is not properly set up with the scan tool it will display LOC. The vehicle VIN number need to be set up in the radio.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sir but the first man tryed to tell me to give him the vin sooo is that not what he was doing????
and if a tool is needed should i not just go to a junk yard and try agian... with a new / used radio and it should unlock with the normal meathods
Expert:  Edgar replied 3 months ago.

The radio is equiped with theft lock feature, every time the key is in the run position power mode it compare the vehicle VIN it has stored to the VIN information received from the module in the data network responsible from transmitting the information if a mis-match occurs then the radio display indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this take in place a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative.Unfortunately the only way to unlock the radio is with scan tool. You can try with another different radio but is the VIN on the different radio does not match it will be inoperative, the radio on that model vehicle does not unlock with the normal methods.