Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

VERY ROUGH IDLE, sounds like valves are going to bust out..

Customer Question

VERY ROUGH IDLE, sounds like valves are going to bust out.. did just replace the ICM
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: consistent. i just got the car only drove it home. but have been starting it in the drive way. hoped to get it smooth before i plated it and let my daughtor use it
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2003 sunfire 2.2? ecotec?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would like to, i have replaced the ICM. that helped a little then the next day when i started it it sound very rough!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: has a knock in the motor
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Do you know what the compression is in the cylinders?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no i do not, sorry about the delay i am at work and break was over.
i did look around on the motor and i did not see the traditional looking plugs is the ecotech got something new or was i looking in te wrong places?
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Didn't you just replace the ignition module? Did you see the plug wires under the cover?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no the module is right on top that was all i had to remove, three screws and a connector. cool so they are in the center.
but back to your thoughts where should i start?
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Depending on how bad the knock is, (could be a rod came off) but the compression would be the first thing to check and have a look at the plugs while they are out.

The top cover comes right off. Please see attached diagram, thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i did look at the plugs last night, they were blackened with a few tiny chunks but i don't think they were the cause. i do not have compression tester i will have to get one. i have plans tonight but will try to get to it Thursday. i did switch back the ICM and it was the same. when i looked in the oil cap it was crusty dry on the cap and what i could see inside was dry. this was after i had started it a few times. i poured some oil in to see if that would help quiet it down, maybe a little but still scary.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I see, thanks. Do you know if it does have oil pressure? That will make them run bad and make a lot of noises.