Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

08 Gxp speed sensor location can not find any ideas tjx,

Customer Question

08 Gxp speed sensor location can not find any ideas tjx
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: Where is it located
JA: What is the model of your '08 Pontiac?
Customer: Gxp
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bought new sensor at auto zone yes repair by me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Where is it located on transmission
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Is this the 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
V624 valve
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is sensor located
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Great, thanks! The VSS is mounted to the passenger's side of the transmission, near the axle shaft. For an image location view, click here: http://goo.gl/2ounhH . Best access will be through the passenger's side wheel well. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please rate or accept!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Were there any other questions you had on this issue? Any other info I can provide to better assist?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you mad eout? Did you find the VSS? Were there any other questions you had on this? Anything else I can provide to better assist? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx,Will let you know about outcome on location this weekend ,,been busy. Thx p
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

No problem. Let me know how you make out or if there is anything else I can do to help. Please remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top of the page.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron Z ,still not seeing sensor also your diagram was lost any other ideas
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, only the one image given for location. I can re-upload it here: http://goo.gl/yzcHnY

It's right next to where the axle shaft plugs in (axle not shown in location image). There's a 2-wire connector, Purple and Yellow. Like I say, best access is through the passenger's wheel well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No sign of wires or sensor
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Can I have the VIN#?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2ckd1737786019084
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. It's saying this is not a correct VIN. Saying digits 5 and 6 are incorrect. Can you double check that vin?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron ,
Did you get vin# ***** first one was wrong
Thx
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was offline when this reply came in.

I did not get a second VIN#. Just the first one you sent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2CKDL737786019084 thx.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Give me a minute to run it and see what I come up with. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. My mistake here. I did not look this up as a Torrent.

Ok. Not showing as this vehicle has a VSS. Was there a trouble code you had leading you to the VSS?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No code shown.speedo. Goes to20 mph eradic shift
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Unfortunately, transmissions aren't my strongest area. 'Sounds' like it may be a shift solenoid problem. But, like I say, I'm not the best tranny guy here. My advice to you at this point would be a to start a new thread describing your symptoms (rather that asking for a location). This thread is too old at this point, you'd never get a 'good' Tech to pick it up. No need to leave a rating for this one. Just let it time out and close.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have read in a few forums that when speedometer doesn't work,computer module sends wrong signal to tyranny is that so? Once again thx for your time
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

From what I'm reading here... a few different sensors play a role here. They all report to the Body Control Module. The BCM then sends the signal to the Instrument Cluster for gauge operation. There is a small test to run, but it requires the use of a scan-tool that can interact with the system. The vehicle needs to be raised all four wheels of the ground and then using Drive or Low (no OD) run the vehicle. Using the scan-tool, if the vehicle speed on the dash doesn't match speed on the scan-tool, it's the instrument cluster itself. However, this "shouldn't" cause a harsh shift symptom. If that's the case, one of the other sensors inputting to the BCM is faulty, or the BCM itself (which isn't very common). Like I say, best bet is to get a second opinion from one of our better tranny guys here.

And I do apologize for all the mix ups and inconvenience of dragging this out on this thread.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Remove me
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Sit tight. Lets see if we can get a tranny guy on this.