GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1993 bonne, will pulling blower motor expose vacuum mod and

Customer Question

1993 bonne, will pulling blower motor expose vacuum mod and give d limited access 20 evap
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have any warning codes popped up?
Customer: 180k miles no codes
JA: What is the model of your '93 Pontiac?
Customer: bonneville sse
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing except online research. I am a very qualified home mechanic with yrs of experience
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: changed out ac relay and vacuumed system. recharged with my guages to proper hi/lo settings. have excellent cold air with limited air flow out vents. can hear diverter under dash moving when changed to defrost and back to max. appears to me as a vac prob. no obvious other vac probs ie poor engine idle. whats next?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the best way to test it is going to be removing the control head and applying vacuum to the proper hose for the valve that moves the mode door. Removing the blower motor will not give access to any of the control valves. If you can let me know if it's manual or auto climate control I can give you info on removing the control head and the vacuum hose diagram from it to the vaucuum controls on the hvac box.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not familiar with term "control head" ehere is it located? also, where is location of vacuum cannister?. Has manual air controls

The control head is where you adjust temp, fan, vent, etc. Give me just a minute to reboot my computer and I'll provide those diagrams.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No phone call. Would rather be able to refer to conversation if it can be saved. after all I just spent 18.00!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have no desire to tear into dash. Never has been my forte. Of the dozen or so radios I have installed over the yrs., I've never enjoyed it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have read that removing ac fan will give very limited access to the evap, possibly enuf to hand clean with small brush if needed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant blower motor under hood
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My girl just reminded me that she gets small pieces paper/cardboard coming out of dr. side dash vents occasionally

Removing the blower will give you some access to the evap core, there may be some trash in there since you mention the stuff coming out the vents.

Removing the control head is like replacing a radio in that you take off the trim panel then the unit. see below for that

Oonce the head is out you can use a hand helod vacuum pump and the chart below to test the vac pods that operate the air doors

To actually get to the vacuum actuators the whole dash has to come out unfortunately, see below

You also want o check for vacuum on the purple hose to the control head. If the check valve to the vacuum canister under the hood is bad it will not work properly

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please turn off prompt that asks about phone call. It is very irritating to me. Have spent $18.00 so far for long waits and little info

I sincerely ***** ***** the call prompt, I can't control it from my end

Usually the vacuum switch on the control head begins to leak and causes the doors not to operate properly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** hands on on car and get back to you. Tom

Sounds good Tom, Look forward to hearing how things go.