kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 2002 aztek 3400 ,it was running the other day while

Customer Question

hello ,i have a 2002 aztek 3400 ,it was running the other day while parked and shut off and will not start now,this is what i did so far changed the cam pos sensor,pulled fuel line from filter fuel is pumping through,checked the coil packs for spark, spark is there,if i spray with starter fluid car will run off of it with no problem tried resetting computer (ie remove neg.cable 15 min,resetting anti theft key in on pos.10 min pulled pcm fuse ,car cranks strong,but just wont start,im stumped just bought it 2 weeks ago,put about 600 miles on it,with no problems,it just cut off and wont start,oh yea and i removed the oil cap to see if valves move when motor cranks,they do.thank you in advance
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: no i dont have a fuel pressure gauge i did get fuel shooting out when i pressed on the valve not certain what pressure sensor is
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to diy it so far changed the cam pos sensor,pulled fuel line from filter fuel is pumping through,checked the coil packs for spark, spark is there,if i spray with starter fluid car will run off of it with no problem tried resetting computer (ie remove neg.cable 15 min,resetting anti theft key in on pos.10 min pulled pcm fuse ,car cranks strong,but just wont start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it has 184000 miles on it
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

Did you do the 30 minute relearn on the security system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no how do you do that

Here are the steps, you must follow them exactly for it to work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will try now how long do i have access to you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have no security tell tale light on the dash do that matter

I will be here till around 6 am. The security light will not come on till you go from start to run. Then it will show up in the message screen, after door ajar, the red battery light, and so on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok i dont have any security light our anti theft light on but im trying it now will cross fingers let you know in half hour. thanks

Just let me know what happens and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok no good didnt work followed step by step so i guess we can rule that out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok no good followed step by step

Do you have a digital volt meter, a test light, and a fuel pressure tester?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no i dont have any of those,but what course of action do you suggest,what should i be looking for,pressure at the fuel rail,a shorted wire on the harness,injector pulse,i think i do have a volt meter,how do i test with that,if you have a bad icm will you still get spark from the coil packs

Sections of the icm can go out and you still have spark to some if not all of the spark plugs. What we really need to know first is what is the fuel pressure with the key in the run position. We also need to know if the injectors are getting a pulse signal from the pcm. From there we will know where to go next.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok ill borrow the tools mentioned,so how do i perform the test,for,icm,fuel pressure, and pulse signals thanks

See what tools you can get in the morning and drop me a line here letting me know you have the tools and we can go over each step one at a time with the tools you can get. S lets meet back here in 10 hours?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok is 10:00 fine if so i will be back then thank you

That works for me. chat with you at 10 am.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
t y

You re very welcome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello so sorry bout our 10 o clock i got called in to work, still there so i have a volt meter,and can borrow a gas pressure gauge,test light, but not til monday,and im sure i wont have accesse til then(first time doing this so i dont know how long ses. last) so if you can ,can you tell me how to do the test i pretty good at stuff like that,and what im looking for what results should i be getting. let me ask you your professional opinion what do you think it may be, ive been wrenching for many years but the newest car i had to this one was a 98 sunfire, so i have to learn all this new stuff thank you in advance.

That is ok, I kinda over slept myself. We can work on it monday if you would like, you have me till we solve this problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Monday is GREAT!! Ty! will contact when i have all tools ,have a great Sunday!

Chat with you monday.