Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Trying to make sure its the blower motor or the resistor

Customer Question

Trying to make sure its the blower motor or the resistor that needs to be replaced.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Just over 200K, automatic. Fan ran on 3 and 4 for a while then stopped. Las night a friend ran a wire directly from the batter to the blower and it didn't work so he said that is the issue. I had the same problem with my grand am and it was the resistor so I am a little hestitant.
JA: What year is your Grand Am?
Customer: I don't have that car anymore - it was a 99 I think?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have someone to fix it. I just want to make sure if its the blower, resistor or even relay switch. All that has been to check it is what I mentioned above. Wire directly from batter to fan motor and it didn't turn on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the blower motor did not operate with a direct 12v applied to it (and the leads were set correctly to + and - ) then the Blower Motor will need to be replaced. Straight voltage (again, wired correctly) and the unit should respond. However, when the blower motor only works on the higher settings, and then not at all, are in fact signs of a faulty blower resistor. I would recommend re-testing the blower motor, making absolutely sure there is a solid 12v and the voltage is applied correctly. If still no operation- the blower motor is at fault.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing and rate or accept!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If there are any other questions you had on this, or you'd like the correct wire colors for the positive and negative leads to the blower, please feel free to reply and ask. I'll need the year, make and model of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your quick response. Some people think because I am a girl I don't know anything - you proved them wrong :) I will purchase both pieces and return the one that I didn't need. Thank you for your quick response, the website makes it a little hard to find the answer, but customer care was able to give me the link. I appreciate you telling me to have him double check the wiring to the blowe.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page! Have a great weekend!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

..