Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Fuel gauge shows more than full. No other noticeable

Customer Question

Fuel gauge shows more than full.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No other noticeable changes
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2007 Torrent
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I will fix it myself if it is relatively simple.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There are times when it reads accurately. The miles to empty is always OK
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you today. Give me a minute to load in your vehicle and grab some info. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

This is actually a fairly common problem. The issue here will be a problem with the Fuel Level Sensor. The Level Sensor is located inside the fuel tank, mounted to the side of the fuel pump assembly. To gain access, the fuel tank will need to be removed from the vehicle, the pump assembly removed from the tank, and the level sensor unclipped from the fuel pump body. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the top of the fuel tank for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the fuel level sensor.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

If there are any other questions you had on this issue, or there was something specific you wanted addressed, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!