Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK

Coolant fans won't come on but when I jump the relays they

Customer Question

Coolant fans won't come on but when I jump the relays they do. I have 14 volts to relays but there not energizing the relays. When I put straight battery power to relay it energizes and I ohmed the contacts and I have continuity. I have swapped relay with other relays that are the same and still no fan
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 260000 and yes
JA: What is the model of your '258000 Pontiac?
Customer: GT with 3400 engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes , new thermostat, and temp sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have bled air out of coolant and I unplugged temp sensor and both fans come on high
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 2 months ago.

The coolant temp sensor is most likely shorted to ground, replace it, and retest, If you have a scanner you could monitor the PID for coolant temp sensor Key on Engine Off, will be negative temperature reading if failed. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have further questions ,I will continue to answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.