GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2008 pontiac g8 ....began to run a little hot .....first

Customer Question

2008 pontiac g8 ....began to run a little hot .....first noticed that one fan was not working ...got fan problem fixed......months later ...as in this week....while running ..idling ...and such ....the temp needle rises.....next day....notice coolant stick is low in the reservoir ....add some 50 50 dex cool......later ...its apparently spitting or spewing coolant all over the inside..but very little ...its spewed on the air intake tube...and some in other places...not leaking profusely tho......next day i wash off the coolant with hose...figured and hoped it was only too full when i added the dex cool and that it was just spitting out extra .......now ..when in traffic with air on ...its over heating ...until or unless i can successfully get my car moving and air flowing through....each day i have been getting home or when i stop the car looking for fluid leaks...i only see little if any .....looks like the water pump spinner is a little whop (wobbly) but i cant tell for sure .....but it seems as though maybe its going bad ? idk...i also read something that says that dex cool is the devil .....and is most likely the cause for my pain .....and i might just believe that because ....it wasnt spewing or leaking anything prior to that ....just seemed to be getting a little hot in traffic.......have been in house all summer until sundown and have not had to deal with this issue of driving in heat...now that school is starting back ...im out in the heat of the day ....one article says for me to drain the dex cool...put distilled water ...run it for about 30 miles ....then drain and fill with regular green mix ......hope that wasnt too much ......
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: are you reading this as soon as i type it or is this a robot response ?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Pontiac Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: car has 170 thou miles on it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if i can fix by myself of course....if the leak is a sign of danger then no ..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only that i thought i replaced the water pump about a year ago ....i would hope it wasnt a bad one ...but this apparently is an issue with the g8 ......if the leaking is already a sign of bad things then i need to know ...rather than to put money into something else that wont fix my issue
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
did i just lose 13 dollars ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello ?

no i m with you , i m reading the situation now sorry i lost my internet after i answered you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK what is your response ?

1- you need to do a coolant pressure test and see where it is leaking from ? this is done with a coolant pressure tester found at any local auto parts store

2- water pump if bad at idle it will show and make car run hot as long as the fans are running ,so water pump if wobbling means the bearing in it is bad and needs replacement

3- thermostat needs checking if it is getting stuck sometimes and not opening all the way at idle .

4- if all above is good and you still running hot and boiling over , that leaves a blown head gasket or a begging of one .

5- also the radiator cap needs checking that is opening and closing , the coolant pressure tester will have an adapter to test the radiator cap

sorry for the delay

please let me know

Chad