Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Is there a safety circuit(s) and/or sensor that will prevent

Customer Question

Is there a safety circuit(s) and/or sensor that will prevent a 2005 Pontiac Vibe with the 1.8 L4 engine from starting? I can troubleshoot the electrical circuits for a "true" safety circuit condition if I know what I am looking for...
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If there are safety circuits and sensors that create a stop condition - where are they located and could you please show me a wiring schematic that I can use to check for "true" safety alert stop engine conditions... I only have a Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe 2003 thru 2008 "Haynes" Repair manual and the 374 page pdf operator manual to assist me - no wiring schematics...
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There are a few common issue that can prevent the engine from starting on this model here.First if the security light is on steady or flashing after you crank the engine or try and crank the engine and let go of the key (without turning it back any) this indicates this is a security fault and all that may be needed is a relearn.It may also be a faulty security component needing replaced.If this light is acting up like this here let me know.

The second issue is the fuel pump failure but it looks like that has been replaced

The other issue can be the ignition module or crank sensor.Usually you wont have any spark if this is the cause.

Let me know more on the symptoms here and I can further help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No! You didn't answer my stated question! Read the question and answer it the way it was stated please... Safety circuits, cut off circuits, safety sensors - some electrical signal that would prevent the engine from starting. I can relate to finding a true "ON" state in the wiring schematics if you can explain my answer in electonical terms that I asked for... AS you mentioned above - a crank sensor - ok, show me a wiring diagram of where it's located and the fuse associated with it so I can put a multi-meter on it to see if it is "ON" or in a true (positive) state vs a false (negative) state. Get the picture now??? I'm sure there are other safety circuits I can troubleshoot if you just show me where they can be found. Some might be in a relay module under the dash, behind the glove box - or, along the inside fender well on the driver's side beside the internal fuse box - but in a separate location - not in the fuse box. Do you understand what I need now??? I don't need your theory on a long term explanation of different causes - I want a simple explanation of the safety circuits and sensors to be identified on a wiring schematic along with the physical fuse or relay or fusible wire link location so I can put my meter on that exact point with the power on (key in the "on" position - but car not running (obviously) to see if I have a positive output for a safety cut-off signal... I can't get any simpler! Are you able to provide THIS information???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you want a 3 star or higher rating - you are going to have to do better - compendia!? That was not the answer I expected from my initial question...
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pete! Please accept my question as a challenge! I have been the super "go-to" guy in my days of electrical troubleshooting. I had a 22 1/2 yr US Army career in communications and computer repair - then, I worked close to a 20 yr career as an industrial (union) senior journeyman electrician. So, I can relate to the wiring schematics and track the true vs false state conditions... However, I need to know the normal true at rest state vs the active "ON" state and if there is an actual false "OFF" state other than a negative voltage or near zero volts. Hope this helps you to understand my troubleshooting methodology...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problema!!! Pete - please accept my challenge in the meantime... You might be able to learn something in the process - a new method of troubleshooting that I have found to be very successful for me. However, more minds are more productive when brainstorming a problem - I am looking forward to a solid wiring schematic that hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or to a service manual excerpt... Thank you!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mike i am looking over your info to see how i can assist, i will check back soon. Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok so , first let me ask a few questions. and please if you respond to me the way you responded to pete i will opt out immediatly , we are here to help, communication is key here.

1. does the engine crank at all?
  2. do you have a scan tool that can read fault codes?
  3. did this happen after a recent repair or out of nowhere?
  4. have you replaced any parts for this issue as of yet?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

i need to get a feel for how the car is acting and what the symptoms are in order to help you and i of course can get you any schematic you need. no worries.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

It seems you are eager to test items and that is commendable, but in order for us to guide you in the correct direction i need to know the symptoms of the car or else we would be "chasing our tail" when it can be a simple fix.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just need the accurate wiring schematics showing the circuits that I have mentioned - that's all. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The car cranks.
I do not have a scan tool; however, I can check the signals on the PCM or BCM if you can tell me what connectors I need to check.
I bought the car from my niece - she said it just quit on her.
I replaced the fuel pump - still same problem - cranks - but won't start.
I cleaned the injectors, spark plugs, continuity check on all fuses (power off condition) - charged the battery up. The only other weird problem has to do with the A/C switches - when I try to crank the engine, I get a loud clicking noise from the center of the dashboard until I push the A/C switches and then it stops. I have gone over the wiring for breaks, burns, or damages - nothing. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel into the injectors. It appears to have a safety cut-off condition that prevents it from starting. It has too much transmission fluid at the moment, but I'm going to drain it down. It barely had any oil in it and I put in "Murphey's Mystery Oil" to clean up the oil housing and crank case... I need to know if there are safety cut-off circuits so I can check to see if they are "Active on and I need to know how to reset them if they are...
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok good info thanks! , so if there is no flashing security light on the dash then it is not a security issue and there is no fuel cutoff like a ford. does the car start on starter fluid or not?

that would tell me if we are missing fuel or spark and then from there i would be more than happy to get you the diagrams that will get you on the right path.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

here is some info so far that can help. hopefully.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't understand you people! All I originally asked for in the first place is the wiring diagram schematics... None of you have provided that -or, seem unwilling to do so... If you can't provide the schematics - then say so or quit trying to give me something I don't need. If you can't produce the schematics - then, provide me a means of where I can get them and I can most certainly go from there... By the way, it has the individual fuel injectors at each cylinder - not the throttle body injection... So, it would be hard to spray starting fluid into the throttle body to by-pass the injectors... Unless, you have a different way to do this - if so, let me know and I'll try it. I'm in no big hurry - I'm just trying to get the damn thing to run - period...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You lied to me!!! I have been billed for your answers and I did not give you a satisfactory rating!!! We are done...
You are done... I will be contacting my Credit Card to dispute these stupid ass charges that you mislead me on... You are a lying bunch of ass wipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

so would you rather me just send you schematics and send you on your way with no idea of what to check and where? throttle body or MPI doesnt matter, take the intake hose off, spray starter fluid into the throttle and see if it will start! if it does then we know we are missing spark ! if it does not then i know we are missing fuel!

you came to us for help, now understand that we can help but you need to follow our info.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

you have it all wrong..........

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

good luck to you sir, i have tried , you are not willing to co operate. and the charges are all laid out on the very first few pages of sign on. you cant tell me that your 20$ here is not worth the risk of saving hundreds at a shop. you can contact customer service and they can explain it to you or refund there is not a worry. but for now i can see you are not going to be easy to deal with. i did try and am the best at what i do . i wish you luck in the future.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My rating for this is poor... I expect a refund of any charges to be refunded to my card. Thank you for not giving me a straight answer...
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

here you go. we are real people that try to help, i will not argue with you but i will tell you that you came to us and then would not listen to us and help us help you, here is a schematic. tell me if it helps you.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

now tell me how that helps if we still do not know if you are missing fuel or missing spark.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

I WILL be here if you truly want help, google Lou P and just answer and you will see that i go to extremes to get people fixed up. but its your call. you can and will be refunded if that is what you want. take care, Lou P.