Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

It could be related but I recently bought a 99 for $500 I

Customer Question

It could be related but I recently bought a 99 for $500 I have a 98 gtp that's rusting pretty badly. The Trans is no good but I was hoping the trans from my 98 would swap in but found out from a pro that the 99 is a stand alone transmission.
But back to the subject after cleaning out the car and tearing the dash apart I've found a few suspicious wires. One of which is a wire running from the HVAC control fuse slot inside the car back to the fuel pump. If you unplug the wire it doesn't have enough pressure to keep the car running or start the car. I was told by a mechanic to swap the two relays under the hood and see if that worked but it didn't (not without the wire plugged in) I have the wiring diagram and I haven't really had time to troubleshoot with a voltmeter to see what's hooked up to what and what's possibly is running under powered. So I know the blower motor resistor changes the speed of the the blower for the ac/heat is the fuel pump resistor designed to do the same thing?
The car has a viper security system. It's kinda nice but I read something about a "security system problem" earlier.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You have a fuel pump resistor on the super charged engine that I believe is in the front inner fender area on the passenger side that fails.I have seen this fail several times before and needs replaced for the no voltage issue to the fuel pump.It sounds like someone had bypassed this relay running a wire from the HVAC fuse to the pump itself.If the after market security system is installed in some cases this can be defective and cause the same issue.If your not using this system you can remove it and wire the vehicle back to factory but I do suspect the fuel pump resistor needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete