Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

Turn the key and nothing happens. Battery good, starter

Customer Question

Turn the key and nothing happens. Battery good, starter good. I have 12 V to the wire that attaches to the solenoid when I turn the key and NOT connected to the solenoid but zero volts on that wire when I turn the key connected to the starter solenoid
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yes can turn the wheel key doesn't seem too bad its a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to, tested the starter and battery. I can start the vehicle by jumping the starter
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just seems strange that I have 12V to the wire that attaches to the solenoid when I turn the key and it is not connected but 0V when it is connected to the solenoid on the starter?? I have tried switching relays around and looked for any bad fuses? I have also tried starting it in neutral... no luck:(
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This indicates the 12 volts on the solenoid wire has low amperage and when connected to the starter the low 12 volt amperage signal drops out.This is due to the wire itself at fault being damaged or corroded needing replaced or a fault with the starter relay or fuse panel connections.These need checked to locate which is the cause of the fault here needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete