Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

My car turns over but won't start when I came home the

Customer Question

My car turns over but won't start when I came home the security horn was going off yesterday
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No they r not it is good
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 02 Bonneville
JA: What year is your Pontiac?
Customer: 02
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we have put the car in neutral and tried to start it like it said and we have put the key in and turned it to on for 10 min. Then tried to start it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the security light flashing on the dash or staying on after you try and start it and release the key?This would usually be a light that says security or theft near the gauges.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the fuel pump is not hissing eather
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Are you sure the pump isnt hissing?It will only hiss the first two seconds the key is switched on,can you re check this for me.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the key won't turn at all now
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Try turning the steering side to side when trying to turn the key and see if this works.If this does not work try putting a battery charger on the battery or try a jump start in case this is a low voltage issue.If neither of these work here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will this may take some time my son will do this when he gets back in a few minutes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,no problem.Let me know if this does anything when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it didn't start
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,do you now hear the fuel pump run the first 2 seconds the key is on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it does
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,try this 30 minute relearn procedure with a good charged battery and see if this resolves the no start issue.Make sure it is followed step by step and if a step is missed you will have to start over.

1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a your key, start the vehicle.It should start and run.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete