Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

FORGOT TO ARRNAGE PUSHRODS SO EXHAST ARE SHORTER BUT AT REAR

Customer Question

FORGOT TO ARRNAGE PUSHRODS SO EXHAST ARE SHORTER BUT AT REAR PASSANGERS WOULD LIKE TO START WITH EXHAST OR INTAKE THEN WORK TWORD THE DRIVERS DO YOU KNOW THE ORDER
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: ARE YOU THERE
JA: No. I'm the Pontiac Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: OKAY
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: BUICK CENTRY CUSTOM 3.1 98
JA: What year is your Buick?
Customer: 98
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MYSELF
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If they were put in wrong already and engine started this is common to bend valves.Just to keep that in mind as I have seen it first hand unfortunately.There is no diagram of the order but the exhaust valve push rods are the londer ones and the intake are the shorted ones.If you look at the valves and intake ports you can tell which is exhaust and which is intake.Here is the info I show on this here.

1. Use the following steps in order to install the pushrod(s).
1.1 Install the intake valve pushrods measure 144.18 mm (5.68 in) long.
1.2 Install the exhaust valve pushrods measure 152.51 mm (6.0 in) long.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
REAR ENGINE SIDE. AT PASSANGERS. WORKING TO DRIVERS SIDE. DO I START WITH THE SHORT ONE THE WHATS THE NEXT FIVE. EXAMPLE LONG SHORT LONG SHORT LONG SHORT LONG SHORT, I JUST DONT KNOW. AGAIN WORKING FROM PASSANGERS CYLINDER #5 DO I START WITH A LONG INTAKE THE WHAT IM ONLY DOING REAR ENGINGE SIDE 5,3,1. 5,3,1 IS THE ORDER SHORT LONG SHORT LONG SHORT LONG SHORT LONG ? WHAT WOULD THE ORDER BE. SIMPLY PLEAZSE GIVE ME THE INTAKE AND EXHAST PUSH ROD ORDER STARTING ON CYLINER FIVE WORKING TO CYLINDER ONE ODD SIDE ONLY
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The intake rocker arms and valves should be closer to the engine and these should have the shorted push rods in them.Here is a diagram of one of the sides of the engine how they are seated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68hcep1ztmb8ivl/push-08-03.jpg?dl=0

I found more info on this as well but you want to make sure intake are shorter and exhaust are longer.

Starting from the front of the engine, right bank that is close to the firewall it should go:
long-short-long-short-short-long
Left bank (towards front of the car) from the front of the engine start with:
long-short-short-long-short-long

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you please start on cylinder 5 standing at passengers side. Cylinder 5 then three then one
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

From cylinder 5 according to what I found since there are no diagrams of this just explanations on how to install these it should go:

long,short,short,long,short,long

This should be from 5 to 1.Rear of the engine starting near the transmission then going to the front of the engine where the belt is.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need that image of the back engine side closest to firewall please
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I dont show the diagram for this and one wasnt made for this engine on this.Usually just the instructions are followed on which push rods install in which lifters.The rockers that are shown closest to the middle valley of the engine in the diagrams below are the intake and require the shorter push rods and the rockers in the diagrams below that are more towards the exhaust manifold have the longer push rods.I know you may feel you dont want to mess this up but if you follow what I have posted here you will be o.k.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akn3br63clanb1a/in-08-03.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vys10d47rq61yu2/i-08-03.jpg?dl=0

Thanks Pete