sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Will not start has p11 code, No they are good, It's a 2006

Customer Question

Will not start has p11 code
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No they are good
JA: What year is your P1?
Customer: It's a 2006 solstice. Engine has p11 trouble code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yep going to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, the very first thing I do with this code is change the oil and filter as the vvt actuators operate by oil pressure. 5 out of 10 times this takes care of the issue. when was your last oil change?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will change the oil and filter today. Will this problem cause the car not to start?

if the vvt actuator has failed yes. when trying to start is the vehicle cranking ok but just not turning over?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok. hold off on the oil change then. you need to check timing. are you familiar with putting the engine at tdc and verifying the timing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

are you mechanically inclined with vehicles?

Fault codes don't necessarily have a single "repair" and can often be caused by several different things. That being said the most common causes of camshaft phaser solenoid issues are either engine oil condition/level or the solenoid. The solenoid is easily replaced. It is mounted on top of the engine with a wiring connector and one 10mm bolt. It is important to clean the area prior to removing it otherwise dirt and debris may enter the hole after removal. About 85% of these are caused by the solenoid. I've had a few that require engine disassembly and the phaser itself replaced however that is a bit rare.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The no start condition may or may not be related to the code you found. It's definitely possible that you could have a cam timing issue but you could also be missing fuel pressure, you could be missing spark due to a sensor or wiring issue, it could be fuel quality or an exhaust restriction.

Have you checked spark and fuel pressure?