john aka eaut
john aka eaut, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

My trac off light came on and my car started shifting hard

Customer Question

My trac off light came on and my car started shifting hard from park to drive and from first to second. The ABS light is on but that happened before this. The check engine light also came on at the same time and the temperature gauge quite working. The check engine light went off after turning the car off and restarting it and the temperature gauge was working again as well
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2002 sunfire
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and nothing yet because it just started a few hours ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: About a three weeks ago it started making a knocking noise when I start it but after a minute of letting it run it sounds solid. I also just changed my oil two days ago and don't know if that could have anything to do with the hard shifting
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 4 months ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only for the check engine light not ABS. It came back code PO117 which is for the ECT Sensor Circuit Low Input
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Which is only the temperature sensor for the temperature gauge

does your scan tool have abs capability?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had it done at autozone

likely thats the problem most of the scan tools that autozone uses are generic and dont do ABS you may need to take it to a dealership/repair shop/or purchase a code reader with ABS capabilities

would you like a recommendation for an inexpensive scanner that can handle this?

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You really arent telling me anything that I don't know already

so you know you need to get it scanned with a scan tool that needs abs functions...can you obtain one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure if I can or not

then it will to be taken to a shop or a scan tool purchased