Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

I asked question about a grand prix earlier and was not

Customer Question

i asked question about a grand prix earlier and was not answered.
JA: What year is your Grand Peri?
Customer: i have a 1998 that is having trouble starting and dies when going less than 20 miles an hour or so
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: think it might be a problem with the fuel pump relay
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the crankshaft sensor because it gave the code p235 when service engine light was checked
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: wont rev past 4000 rpm when in park either. will do it if in drive. will go to 5500 or so when in neutral and moving but not if its in neutral and parked
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure. If you are suspecting you are having a fuel pressure concern then I would start first with install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal pressure should be 38 to 52 PSI. Also scan the system again and lets see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have much time or money for this car and don't want my 19 year old daughter to fix on her own cause I know she will b charged too much. I've researched problem and think it might b a problem with the high/low mode on fuel pump and seen something about bypassing it on the relay
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I assume you referring to the fuel pump resistor assembly located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Below the windshield washer bottle, tucked between the frame and inner fender well, is a big ceramic resistor. If that is the cases then try disconnecting the connector to it and jump the Light Green and Gray wires together and then see if the engine starts and stays running.