Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

ECM Fuse blows regularly, I was recharging my AC and poof!

Customer Question

ECM Fuse blows regularly
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: I was recharging my AC and poof!
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 1997 pontiac gram am v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: funny thing, we have had it to 3 mechanics and none of them have been able to solve the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i was recharging my ac unit for my wife and the fuse blew she has been driving it for months without issue and AC
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Check all the power outlets and cigarette lights, make sure there are no coins in the power outlets, this can blow the fuse for the ecm as the power outlets are on the same circuit.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Outlets are fine. This occurred while I was charging my AC asvI already indicated. The ECM fuse was fine until the then. V
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You could have a short in the ac circuit causing the fuse to blow, I would start unplugging this on the ac circuit until the fuse no longer blows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure I follow you here. What do I unplug in the AC Circuit? The diagram is a bit intimidating...
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Start with unplugging the AC clutch relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. This will take a bit for me to get through. If I unplug the clutch relay, will the AC/Unit still function?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Expert Dan opted out. I am Mike.

I have a bit different approach. First of all, so we are talking about the same fuse, is this the PCM BATT fuse in the engine compartment fuse center or the PCM fuse in the fuse block/

They are both 10 a fuses.

Next, remove the fuse and place an ammeter in the fuse socket, that way you can see exactly what the amperage is that is blowing the fuse. The PCM BATT fuse is hot all the time, so if it's that fuse, there is no need to turn the key on, plus from what I see it only powers one thing, the PCM. If it's the PCM fuse in the fuse block, it powers the mass air flow sensor and the PCM, both pink wires, so unhook the plug at the mass air flow sensor, normally located in the air stream going into the throttle body or near it and check the ammeter again. The key will need to be on run when testing this fuse's socket though.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Any news?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. Working my 8-5 job at the moment. The particular fuse in question is the ECLR Fuse. It hasn't blown since I have instructed my wife to no use the AC unit in the car. If she does, it will run for a few minutes, then the ECLR fuse(20 amp) will blow.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Do you mean "ERLS" fuse cause I don't see no "ECLR"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My apologies, it is the ERLS fuse.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, do you have an ammeter? If not, get one, a small multimeter can be had almost anywhere for $5 or so, then let me know what the amperage is in that erls fuse's socket with the key on run.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That will take me a bit. I will have to get back to you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.