Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

My 2001 pontiac sunfire 2.2 liter will start and within 2

Customer Question

My 2001 pontiac sunfire 2.2 liter will start and within 2 seconds die my anti theft light does not work I have tried every trick to reset the antitheft I've Tryed the battery trick where you hook negative and positive together and turn the key a couple times I have also Tryed the crank it and let it start and die then let it sit in the on position for 20 mins and repeat 3 times and that did not work I have replaced the Ecm and it's still doing it and the person who owned the car before me put a two ohm resistor in the anti theft wires to bypass the anti theft and the resistor is still good I have charged my battery and it still does it. It was running fine and I went to Walmart then when I came out to start my car up it did it I don't have enough money to buy a new car
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: I've checked the fuses and how do I reset the computer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I've Tryed just about everything
Customer: I discrided everything I've tried in the first messege
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My gas meter also stoped working when that happend and I have a new pump and filter
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Not knowing which relearn you have tried I would start first with trying the correct one. See it in the link below. If after doing this and it will still not start then the next step needs to be to scan the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting which there should be if there a problem with the theft system . Give these a try and post back with the results and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Pass%20lock%20%20Jul%2029.pdf