Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Looks like egr valve on a1999 grand am se is missing 't know

Customer Question

Looks like egr valve on a1999 grand am se is missing don't know where it is my boyfriend and brother thinks it don't have one it looks like someone nay have removed it
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 120 had a fuel line leak fixed it
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 199grand am Se
JA: What year is your Pontiac?
Customer: 2.4 motor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had miss fire changed plugs and gas line leak. Showed misfire and oxygen censor when tested
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car is back firing motor jumping converter getting hot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE *****

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

The EGR valve is located On the top front of the engine.

Please see attached diagram of it, thanks

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The 1999 2.4 liter does not have an egr valve. Cut the converter off and black smoke and gas is coming out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Of the pipe from the engine. Air conditioner when on causes very rough idling
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. So the question really is why does it have a rough idle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rough idle and red hot converter. Back fires and little acceleration. Stalls when letting off gas. Engine light flashing. Changed spark plugs and same diagnose. Car runs like crap. Can not get to point A to B.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. That wouldn't be from an EGR system problem. They also did make some with no EGR in that year.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..

A red (hot) exhaust is caused by a lean running condition.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

The fuel filter is located on the cross member just forward of the fuel tank.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,