Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I just bought and picked up a 2001 Pontiac Aztek it has

Customer Question

I just bought and picked up a 2001 Pontiac Aztek it has multiple problems that seems connected to corrosion in the connector under the driver side. Such as the service engine light due to an evaporative control module code comma the gas tank gauge either reads completely full or empty comma worst of all it starts to misfire when going up a Long Hill as if it's being starved of fuel space space I would like to replace this connector first but the GM dealer says he doesn't have the part do you know of an after-market source for these connectors
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: The car hasn't really been coming to a complete stop it seems intermittent sometimes it sounds horrible when starting from a stop and sometimes it's okay what it can't seem to do is go up a Long Hill without producing a random misfire code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I talk to the person that sold it to me I'm actually buying it for my son and I bought it and Boston and trying to drive it back to Utah I'm in Livingston New Jersey now I brought it to a mechanic and he agreed that the problem could quite possibly be related to this connector so we cleaned it but notice that a contact that should be in the female part is actually sticking up the male part will you put it back together and it seem to fix the problem of the code until I started driving it and I figured a block away he came to find a part to replace at the GM dealer says they don't have any he was not confident enough to hardwire the whole harness I called at the GM dealer and they refused to work on the car because he said it was too old and they couldn't get parts so I'm about to take it to another mechanic Spanish shop whom I know through somebody in my church and see if he's willing to fix it
JA: I'm 40 . Forty something.
Customer: Apparently this coroded connector is a very common problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Sometimes the all-wheel-drive disabled light flashes also
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know where I can buy a replacement connector for the fuel tank wiring harness5
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** is a common problem but cleaning the connector is usually enough so I'd try that first. If that doesn't work you or mechanic should be able to remove pins from connector and clean as needed or only bypass the wires that pins are corroded on or wires causing problems such as ones for rear differential actuator for awd and fuel pump wiring. There are no aftermarket suppliers of this connector. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.