Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

2008 pontiac g6 convertable "top not secure" warning. Can't

Customer Question

2008 pontiac g6 convertable "top not secure" warning. Can't get top to lower or raise, nor will the button to release the trunk work. Nor sure what to do.
JA: What exactly is happening to the trunk?
Customer: Nothing. It will not open when I push the button. Top is up and sometimes will say "top secure"
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only looked at the fuses. Was wondering if there is something manually I could do
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No,that is about it. I do need to replace turn signal light (driver's side) so I need to be able to open the trunk.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

From what you have described this sounds like a faulty roof latch sensor sending an incorrect signal or one of the other roof position sensors sending an incorrect signal to the computer on what position the roof is in.This can keep the roof from operating properly or operating at all in some cases.

The fault codes need checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set and from there the codes diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.This scan tool will need to be one that can read all computers as the data signals may need checked from each sensor to locate one at fault needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete