Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I am having problems with a 2003 pontiac sunfire. It all

Customer Question

Hello, I am having problems with a 2003 pontiac sunfire. It all started when we got locked out while the car was running. We broke a window to get in and the car died. It hasn't started since. I tried the relearn process of cranking the car and letting it sit in the run position for 10 minutes over and over. The "THEFT SYSTEM" light does not flash it just stays illuminated. I took it to a GM dealer and they told me yhe PCM was bad. I bought a used one and had iy programmed to my VIN number and installed it. Did the relearn process again today.. still no flashing just constant on theft system. Car cranks over fine. Please help!
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Is the vehicle not getting spark, injector pulse, or ignition spark?

So far the issue is pointing more so to the BCM to blame for the immobilizer system issue.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had read that the BCM can cause a problem. I don't know if I should change that now.. is there a way to test the BCM? The part that is confusing is that everything I read about the relearn process says the THEFT light should stop flashing or go off after it sits for about 10 mins. with the key on after attempting to start. My THEFT light doesn't go off ever and doesn't blink or flash. It just stays illuminated as long as the key is on. So how do you think I should proceed?

BCM testing can be done with a scan tool.

Also a scan tool is what I suggest you use to proceed with this issue to see what is wrong from codes stored. If a description of the system is needed, see this link. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/VTD.pdf