Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

I'm having a overheat problem with my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am.

Customer Question

I'm having a overheat problem with my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. It initially overheated because the thermostat was installed wrong causing the gasket failure and loss of coolant. I replaced the thermostat, filled the system with new 50/50 antifreeze and it still overheated. I noticed the fan wasn't coming on so I disconnected the temperature control switch and the fan came on for a few minutes and then shut off and it overheated again. Could this be caused by the temperature control switch?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes, the only leak I have is from the reservoir over flow.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As I have said, I replaced the leaking thermostat, refilled the antifreeze and bleed the air out. I disconnected the temperature switch and the engine fan came on for a few minutes. When I reconnected the switch the fan came on and then went off after a few minutes and then it over heated again.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just replaced one of the air condition lines and all the sills but I haven't recharged the air condition system. That is why the air condition fan hasn't come on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this was the engine coolant temp sensor you disconnected and the fan came on but the fan shut off with it connected even with high engine temperatures in allot of cases this can indicate the engine coolant temp sensor is at fault here needing replaced.I have seen the engine coolant temp sensor fail in the past before like this here needing replaced.I suspect the fuses and relays are all o.k. as well as the computer control as the fan did kick on with the sensor unplugged.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete