sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Service stabilitytrak light and ABS light on. Took it to

Customer Question

Service stabilitytrak light and ABS light on. Took it to Auto Zone and it couldn't be checked for the fuse because the light went out. Will my electrical steering go out?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: Located fuse box, wouldn't check the fuse because the warning light went out
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2008 Pintiac Torrent
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I have only tried to have it diagnosed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so. I have 60,700 miles on my odometer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These warning lights are coming on because the ABS module is seeing an issue somewhere in the system and setting a fault coe. There are many possible causes for these lights ranging from the steering angle or yaw sensor, the brake switch, pump motor and hydraulic control unit, the ABS module itself, wiring, and wheel speed sensors.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what codes have set and then testing would need to be done from there while the problem is happening. The codes will stay stored and the lights do not have to be on to check for fault codes.