David Gieswein
David Gieswein,
Experience:  Automotive technician at Doug Gray Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep
94072907

2003 Pontiac Sunfire, I have a surging idle problem and can

Customer Question

2003 Pontiac Sunfire, I have a surging idle problem and can be felt during acceleration.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am an ASE master certified mechanic. It sounds like you have some kind of vacuum leak. Please respond for further instructions for testing when you are ready.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi David, I thought so to, but I cannot find it. I sprayed starting fluid around the throttle body, intake and every where else I could think of.

Does the car have an EGR valve?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No.

According to my resources it does, are you sure?

It may be back behind the engine near the firewall. Another way you can find it is to locate the exhaust and see if there is a pipe coming out of it up towards the engine. Follow that pipe to the EGR valve.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I,m pretty sure, if I had one it would be on the right side of the head. I thought i read somewhere that some did not have them. Unless the previous owner removed it. no pipe coming off of the exhaust.

Surging idle might be caused by a bad IAC motor too. When you do a cold start or the first time you start your car for the day, does it rev up and then slowly idle down?

I noticed you have a live data scan tool. Can you give me the readings for the O2 sensor short term adaptives?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does, but the new throttle body came with that and the throttle positioning sensor. what are short term adaptives?

If you get your live stream up you will see you have two data readings for O2 sensors. One is short term and one is long term. With these readings, you can determine very quickly what is going on inside the combustion chamber. Short term is the most important reading

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
give me 5 minutes I dont remember having two readings, but i will check it again.

That's fine, I will wait. Remember they are called O2 B1S1 short term and O2 B1S1 long term or something of that sort

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think my scanner is that fancy, or i may not be familiar with it. the one that reads o2 b1s1 reads at idle between .135-.790 and is very erratic and at 2000 rpm it reads .050-.805. o2 b1s2 at idle reads .785-.830 and at 2000 rpm it reads .755-.830, this one stays more consistant than the other.

No, those are voltage readings. Does it have any other readings pertaining to O2 sensors?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bummer, no it doesn't.

I did look up the surge diagnostics and it said to check the O2 sensor readings. If you are going to fix this yourself, go buy a different scan tool from O'reilleys that reads data. I recommend the bosch one that I bought from them

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what model do you have?

Let me go get it

Ok, it is the OB2 1100 series. I paid $99 for it. Worth every penny. I sold my other scan tool.

At Oreileys of coarse

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I will buy that and get back with you tomorrow if thats good with you.

That's fine. Don't buy anything else if you can help it unless they say it will give you livestream data. I used this scan tool at the dealer every day. I used it on dodges, jeeps, nissans, fords etc.

Have a happy 4th

Have you figured out the O2 sensor readings yet?