rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My car a 1999 pontiac grandprix se 3.1 questions the

Customer Question

My car a 1999 pontiac grandprix se 3.1 questions the fuel.gage will go from full to empty an back even when the car is full of gas an lose power on hill. The fuel filter was changed, the fuel sending unit an fuel pump was replaced
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

2 different problems may be here, 1 would be a bad fuel gauge, the other could be a partially blocked CAT converter. The best thing you could do is attach a scan tool and monitor fuel trims, and a vacuum gauge to monitor the loss of vacuum.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It didn't solve the problem
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

So what were the results of the scan? That's what we were supposed to do first.

Thanks, Ron