tracer6, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Auto and Light truck foreign and domestic

All of a sudden my check engine light came on and the temp

Customer Question

All of a sudden my check engine light came on and the temp gauge stays at 0 and my ac is blowing hot air
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Coolant was low so I added and checked for leaking but didn't see any signs of leaking
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2007 Pontiac g6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I'm hoping too
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No other issues, car drives great just no ac
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Temp gauge isn't moving at all, ac is blowing hot air and check engine light is on
Expert:  tracer6 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, how much coolant have you added?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
added and waited and then added more and now it's level where it's suppose to be
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was empty when I first checked it. Just bought the car two days ago
Expert:  tracer6 replied 3 months ago.

what engine do you have? there are 4 different ones , If unknown? I would need 8th digit of the Vin, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The eighth digit is N
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There's no other issues at all, drives great
Expert:  tracer6 replied 3 months ago.

please send full vin #. I fully understand the question, I have to do some checking on things so please bear with me. It takes a few minutes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  tracer6 replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have the 3.5 litre engine. By default, the AC will be turned off when a problem is detected and computer sets a code, We do not have the code so,, with guage on 0? I am thinking the coolant temp sensor has failed, If it does? it will nor signal the computer, you will get zero reading on dash, AC will turn off automatically till the problem is fixed, I know low on coolant but gugae would have gone up if temp was running high so,, you either have a bad sensor or it is possibel the PCM is failing and not reading the sensor but kind of doubt it. We do not have the code nor do we have a scanner hooked up viewing live data so,, working off symptoms etc? you have a bad sensor, Now... you can try removing BOTH battery cables from the battery, Hold the ends together best you can for minimum 90 seconds, generally this will clear the computer , the light and it may? all start working again, If not? then? the sensor is likely bad, Now,, its either on back of the head, back of engine as shown in first picture OR it is on back side of block as second picture and #5. I think its on top at back of engine screwed into the right cylinder head as picture # ***** It will have a orange/Black wire and a yellow wire going to it.