Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

99 Pontiac firebird. My fiirebird sputters, backfires,

Customer Question

99 Pontiac firebird. My fiirebird sputters , backfires , stalls out,bucks. Change sensors,problem recur. Need help.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not enough info. The computer checklist states sensors. Have change 3. Just put a new fuel pump in and new fuel filter. What would be next?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks, ***** *****'t know about the fuel pump and filter. What code(s) is it showing?

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

What is the fuel pressure at?