Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix is currently with a GM mechanic.

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix is currently with a GM mechanic for inspections. They are stating that I will need to have both rear calipers replaced (I just replaced them 10/1/2014) as well as right rear ball bearing and right line of emergency break. I only have 58,448 miles on the car. Should you have to replace the rear calipers every 2 years?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will not be able to fix this myself. How to I know if it really needs replaced again.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've only put on 8,644 miles since the calipers were replaced.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

With only 8,644 on new calipers, there should be no reason to replace them at this time. Calipers are designed to last much longer that 8,000 miles. The only way these would need replacing for inspection purposes, is if they are leaking or not releasing. If leaking, you'd notice it on the ground. If they weren't releasing you'd feel it when you drive.

As for the bearings- if these were worn and needed replacement, you'd hear a "hum" noise while driving that got louder and/or changed pitch that directly related to speed. The faster you go ,the louder the noise.

As for the emergency break cable- if this cable is rusted or seized and is not activating the emergency brake on the right side, this would be cause for replacement due to inspection requirements.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and unrated, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again! Ron Z here...
I am contacting you because the post has not been closed and is still unrated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help, as you have not left a rating.
Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help? Did you have any other questions? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to rate, please take a few seconds and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A. Rating our Q&A does not cost you extra!