C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.

Started while driving on the freeway. Stalled out. after a

Customer Question

started while driving on the freeway. Stalled out. after a while i could get it to start but it would run really rough then when I pushed on the gas pedal got no power then it would stall out. A mechanic looked at it and sprayed carb cleaner at the throttle body and it would rev up and hold for a second then stall out. Vacuum issue? its a 1989 Pontiac 6000 wagon 2.8L. I found the Vacuum combiner and it was a little degraded so it got replaced with no help. The MAF has also been replaced. I have found information saying it could be the Oil pressure switch or the Vacuum system causing it. any way to isolate the issue?
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: Oil pump is unkown. The check engine light has never come on until this issue started. But when it does run continuously, which happens from time to time, No engine lights of any kind are present
JA: What is the model of your '89 Pontiac?
Customer: 6000 LE wagon---2.8L engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not had time, so a Pepboys has been working on it. All they have done is replace the MAF sensor, and install the new Vacuum Line combiner I brought them. They tell me the Fuel pressure seems fine, and when it runs the Oil pressure also is fine. No lines have been replaced, nor do I think they have smoke tested the vacuum system. I will probably end up working on it myself here pretty soon, as they have given up and told me to take it to an engine shop.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, sounds to me like you have the famous clogged catalytic converter. They get plugged up over time from getting hot this causes the exhaust to backpressure into the engine until it dies.

You can pull out the front oxygen sensor to verify my diagnosis. If it starts or runs better with the plug out of the exhaust (other than the loud exhaust leak of course) replace the cat and your problem is solved. Thanks and have a great 4th.