tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop...25yrs
14541291

I have a 2000 grand am gt with a 3.4. It seems to have a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 grand am gt with a 3.4. It seems to have a good charge and was working Fine. When Frost started the compressor comes on but cycles for quickly. The only way It will cycle again is to cycle the kye and then same story. Thinking a relay or computer problem. Thanks
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 220000 and yes. It is a work car.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I am capable other then i dont have a scan tool. I do have 134 gauges.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Dont think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

how much pressure is on the low side?

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It only pulls down to 80 psi and the compressor cycles off. It wont come back on until I cycle the key. Has great pressure.I am wondering if it might be electrical

what does the high side do at this same time

?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't make it past 150 and the clutch cycles off. I'm not seeing a low low side or high side before it cycles off.

ok

the high side seems low and the low side is high,,

it sounds as if you may have an internal leak causing the pressures to try to equalize.

i would think the compressor is bad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's because it only runs for about a second. Not enough time for equalization and as far as I know there isn't a switch to turn the clutch off for that.

the low pressure switch operates it

still yet,the high side is too low

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xkpfbog1l9bd2m/0628-grandam-A.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/8xkpfbog1l9bd2m/0628-grandam-A.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I put the gauges on they read 130 on both sides. When I turned the a.c. on it cycled off in about 1 min. Don't think that is enough time to get the head pressure up. But the kicker is that the clutch will never come back on until ignition is cycled.

ok..will it stay on by direct wiring the clutch?,,does it get cold?

do you have any other electrical problems,maybe the dash or anything?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is a good question. I have not because it is pretty hard to get to. Do you suggest that I go straight to the coil?

no,,i would think the pressure switch is likley

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
High or low pressure switch?

the low

the one i gave you in the link above