Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

2008 torrent and key won't turn off completely so it can be

Customer Question

2008 torrent and key won't turn off completely so it can be removed.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

If you have not done so yet, with it in park, rock the vehicle back and forth by the bumper a couple of times to make sure that it is fully in park and then try to turn the key.

If it doesnt turn, then with a hammer, GENTLY tap around the ignition cylinder as you turn the key. If the tumblers are sticking and not aligning, this works like a charm.

If it works, then get some graphite spray from a hardware store and spray in the ignition cylinder, insert key and work back and forth several times. This will prevent it from happening again

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah, none of that is helping, any other suggestions
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Sorry, those are the only 2 ways I know that normally allows the key to turn all the way off. I will open this back up to other epxperts

Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

Keep in mind I didn't design this vehicle, just understand how they work. From your description most likely the Body Control Module (BCM) is not releasing the key. The key capture feature sent from the BCM prevents the key from being removed while the vehicle is in operation. The easiest way to see if the BCM is sending out battery voltage to the ignition lock solenoid circuit is with a dealer level scan tool. If there is no voltage sent out from the BCM the BCM is at fault. The other way is to check for battery voltage on the #22 pin of the BCM X2 connector with the brake pressed and turning the key to off. Since the key won't turn to off I doubt battery voltage is present. BCM replacements require programming before the security system will operate properly and allow the vehicle to start.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.