Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

It's been saying service theft system and now it won't start

Customer Question

It's been saying service theft system and now it won't start says its disabled due to theft system. I just bought this car
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No it doesn't turn over but all my lights are coming on without any dimming
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Talked to you
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: What's the changed of me fixing it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: The chances
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, you need to first try the security relearn procedure

30minute GM relearn procedure:

1-TurnON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attemptto start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor DataCode and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).