Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I have a 2004 Pontiac Montana, and reason the battery is

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Pontiac Montana, and for some reason the battery is draining, and I have replaced the battery.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: I will check that but I am pretty sure it was great. I just installed it 2 weeks ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just started... I don't think that it is the alternator or starter, but I am not sure
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I had a friend hook up the battery, and he told me that it was hard to get at. I am wondering if there is a steady drain on it. Could that be possible?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  camerontech replied 4 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

you will need to determine if you have a draw or not. And how many amps the draw is.

as a general rule, 0.15 amps is about the limit for a draw while .05 amps is optimal

to check this you will need a multi meter with a amp feature.

you will have to disconnect one of the battery terminals and put one lead on the battery terminal that you disconnected and the other on the battery post that it came off of.

than this will give you a amp draw reading.

there will be an intial higher amp draw for anywhere between 10 seconds to 5 minutes while the computer shuts systems down, but it should read no amps within a few minutes.

IF you have a draw, than you will have to locate it.

you do this by pulling fuses untill the amp draw goes to "0".

you then locate a wiring diagram for that fuse and see what is on that fuse circuit and what its powering.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wondering if I should be checking to see if the starter is working or not? Is there a way that you could include a diagram as to where the starter is and how I could check it? Thanks

IF your battery is draining than the starter is not the issue

to test the starter you need some proffessional equipment for starter draw.

your charging system should be charging about 14.1 volts and your battery should be sitting at 12.6 volts.

you need to start with the battery before you go any further and making sure that it is being charged.

im assuming you keep having to boost it because the voltage is low. this would not be a starter issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wondering if it could be because I changed a couple of fuses.

your question was about determining if you have a battery drain or not.

im going to opt out

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today
What is your question. , do want to find the battery drain?
Please let me know so I can help you