Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years repairing both import and domestic automobiles
17920890

I was driving down the road and it just died. now when i try

Customer Question

i was driving down the road and it just died. now when i try to start it everything comes on when i turn the key on and when i try to start it, everything goes off
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: its in park
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2006 gxp
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: my security light flashes continuously after all the lights shut off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Check your battery cable both ends and the ground spot for the cables as well as the cable at the starter and see if there's corrosion or if they are loose.Let me know what you find.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried that and no luck. And also when i was driving home ot didnt just die i had lost all power and hitting the gas pedal did nothing. It was just surging at 500rpms
Do you have a scanner? Can you scan the computer and see if it will communicate. And one last thing, can you remove the battery and have it tested at the local parts store like autozone? The other thing that can cause all those symptoms is a shorted or dead cell in the battery. So I'd like to eliminate the easy stuff first.Let me know what you find.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The battery is brand new. And the computer is showing no codes.
Im pretty sure its an issue with the security system. As when i try to start it it clicks once then the security light flashes
But then all lights go out? Everything but the security light goes dead?Or did I misunderstand?Let me knowThanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As soon as i turn the key all lights go out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I turn the key to on and everything comes on but as soon as i try to start it everything dies out
Ok, so does it stay out? If so what causes it to come back on? Or does it come back on when you release the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it stays out and after a few seconds or maybe minutes it comes back on and does the same thing.
Ill turn the key to on and hear everythibg kick on including the fuel pump. But as soon as i turn it to start everything shuts off including all dash and dome lights
But while this is happening, your security light flashes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The yellow light on the radio flashes when the power returns
do you have a aftermarket security system or stock?
Also you said you hear a click then this happens. Where is the click coming from? The starter? A relay? Or?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just has the stock security system. And im not sure thw click is coming from under the hood somewhere.But if i try to jump the car it will actually crank just not start.
Ok. So the problem isn't with the security system. It's a bad connection somewhere. Can you have someone listen to the starter as you try it to see if it's what is clicking. So here are a few of the possible causes/problems.
1) bad ignition switch
2) bad starter
3) bad battery cables
4) bad connections on the cables on either cable and either end
5) bad connection on the alternator.
6) bad battery (slim chance tho)
I'm going to be logging off for the night in a few min. So if you have any more questions feel free to ask but I may not be able to reply till tomorrow. If it's urgent another tech may jump in.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But why would any of that cause my car to suddenly lose power and die on the way home? And then just crank with no fire
Because it would be causing sufficient power or ground to not get to the computer thus causing the car to die. But the most likely cause is the ignition switch. But the cutting out when trying to start is a classic symptom of a bad connection. And tie in it dieing while running and the most likely causes is the ignition switch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is thay something i can replace my self? And why does it try to actually start when hooked to another vehicle via cables
You can try wiggling the wires on the ignition switch and see what happens. Let me know and I'll check somethings at work tomorrow as wellThanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where are the wires located for that? Do i need to remove the shroud underneath my steering wheel? And can i replace this ay home
Also lets just eliminate the other things if you don't mind. Have the battery tested just because. And take jumper cables and Hooke them up with the battery cable. Positive to battery positive and the other side to the big cable starter post on the starter and negative to negative on battery and grounded to the engine.And yes you can replace it at home, but let me double check the programming tomorrow if it will be an issue or not. But if I remember right your car doesn't have a chip in the key.And yes you will have to remove the shroud. The electrical part is hooked to the back side of the cylinder where you put your key to start it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The battery is brand new i just bought it and had it tested at the store 3 days ago. So it shouldnt be that.
Ok so I agree with you then. It's has to be one of the other things. When you try the jumper cable thing try to see if the stud on the starter wiggles at all. And let me knowThanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cleaned the grounds amd terminals. And it now doesnt lose everything when i turn the key. It tries to start. However its just cranking it wont fire.
Ok, so at least we fixed one problem. Spray carb cleaner or brake clean into the intake and see if it will start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sprayed carb cleaner and it didnt do anything. So it has me thinking its a spark issue. And when i originally broke down it smelled like fuel. So i was thinking it was grtting fuel but wasnt getting burnt
Ok. Do you have a scanner? Can you check and see if as its turning over that it's getting crank signal? Also can you check your fuses? Esp ign fuses but check them all
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do i tell if its getting crank signal? All i have js a cheap $20 code reader
Ya it probably won't have data. Pull a plug wire and check for spark and let me know. And check the fuses
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay ill get back to you later in the morning
No problem. Sounds good
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sprayed starting fluid in there and nothing and held a screwdriver in the plug wire and no spark
Ok so no spark. Check your fuses to start with. And do you have a volt meter?
Has there been any other work done to this in the past 6 months?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. But when i try to crank the rom guage doesnt move either. Could this be a crank sensor
That's what I'm thinking, but I wanted to explain how to test it first. But you need a volt meter to do so.
Also, have you checked the fuses?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Checked all the fuses and they're good. How do you check tge crank sensor? How do you even change it on this car? Because I can't seem to find it
Ok I wanted to look it up and make sure we could check the sensor with the volt meter becouse on the newer ones you can't.
Here's the Gm description.
*2006
CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSORThe crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is a three wire sensor based on the magneto resistive principle. A magneto resistive sensor uses two magnetic pickups between a permanent magnet. As an element such as a reluctor wheel passes the magnets the resulting change in the magnetic field is used by the sensor electronics to produce a digital output pulse. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a 12-volt , low reference, and signal circuit to the CKP sensor. The sensor returns a digital ON/OFF pulse 24 times per crankshaft revolutionOf course the manual says to do it with a oscilloscope but I like the right up this guy gives on testing it your self.http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L-6.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1Copy and paste the link.As far as the location it difficult to get to. The instructions say it's on the firewall side of the engine between the engine and the transmission below cyl 8.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
See ive had people say it was underneath the starter. Others said you had to remove the hsrmonic balancer to get it it. And then ive read its where you said it was. And i looked there and couldnt see it
This is the best image I could find in the diagrams for your vehicle. It shows the crank sensor above the pan torwards the rear of the motor. If you can see the knock sensor, the crank sensor is behind it. Torwards the rear of the motor from it.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would i even get to the CKP? I can see it in your image but how would i be able to access it from underneath the car or in the hood?
Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to get to. It's a remove by feel type thing with some good extensions and wobbly sockets. Might be easier to replace then test. Or if you can borrow a good scanner and observe rpm on data as you are cranking. :-/
I wish there was an easy way.
However it's a bit easier if you remove the manifold and crossover pipe. But that's about the only way to make it easier.I'm sorry I wish there was a secret.
Thanks
Sonny
Thanks
Sonny