Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Replaced a water pump on my wife's2005 vibe. Went to start

Customer Question

Replaced a water pump on my wife's2005 vibe. Went to start it, but it didn't start. It cranks, I got spark, fuel pump relay is good ( swapped with the other one)
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

is there any security light that is remaining on or flashing? If so, try another key if you have one.

Does the fuel pump run, when you first turn the key to run, before you turn the key to start?

If not, check the fuel pump fuse since you tried a swapped relay.

If the fuel pump does run and you have spark, check the fuel injector/s fuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked all of those fuses, both the ones under the hood, and under the instrument panel, they are the fuses marked EFI correct? Also there is no muted hum of the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Then it's the fact that the fuel pump don't run. I know this has the 1.8l engine but is the 8th digit of the vin an 8 or an L?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is an 8. I assumed it was the fuel pump, but just needed a little back up. I'm trying to figure out what the fuel pump has to do with the water pump...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Nothing, you could have just blown a fuse, sometimes it happens.

Especially if you leave the key in the ignition while disconnecting wires, etc.

Anyhow, you are correct, check the EFI fuse.

I see there is an EFI relay that feeds power to the circuit opening relay which I assume is the same as the fuel pump relay.

Here is the wiring diagram,

If you used that EFI relay as a swap, you may want to try a different one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All efi fuses checked, all solid filaments. In the diagram, it says a 15 amp fuse, but there's a 20amp in there. Swapped fuses with15a spare, still no go
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

yeah, you are safer with the 15a, but that isn't going to make a difference as far as this working or not.

Did you use that EFI relay as a swap?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.