Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

02 pontiac bonneville 3.8 have code p1626 and code p1374.

Customer Question

02 pontiac bonneville 3.8 have code p1626 and code p1374. Changed the crank sensor because of the parameters. Reset codes. Drove for awhile once car got warmed up started to want to stall or die. Only code that came back was p1626. Can anyone help
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Make sure the wiring and connections are all o.k. at and leading to the crank sensor.If any issues are found they will need repaired to correct this fault here.The code P1626 indicates the PCM (engine and transmission computer) has detected a loss of state of health from the theft deterrent control module.In almost all cases this is the theft deterrent control module at fault causing this issue here.This module is located under the radio on your model here as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pumqn4g1yhgduu9/th-06-13.gif?dl=0

If the crank sensor code comes back you want to check and make sure no terminals are bent in the connector for the crank sensor as well as all wiring is o.k. at and leading from the sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will this cause the car to die. Once its warmed up. Everything ive looked up says this will not cause the car to die. After a few tries the car will start back up
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It will run rough only does it when its warmed up and driven about 20 mins before it starts acting up
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

The crank sensor fault will cause the engine to stall out but not the theft module.The theft module can cause a no start issue.I suspect it is the crank sensor fault here causing the stall out and can be the connection or wiring since the sensor was already replaced.If the connection and wiring are all found o.k. then usually this can be the engine computer needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete