Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

My G6 GT convertible top will not retract into the trunk.

Customer Question

My G6 GT convertible top will not retract into the trunk. Here are the symptoms and what it will and will not do. Initially, it would not go down and the trunk would not open. Also, the rear window defogger would not work. I grounded the #16 wire in the fuse block to open the trunk, then I pulled the trunk cover out and locked it in place. I then closed the trunk, pressed the button and the convertible top retracted into the trunk just like it was supposed to. At this point I was thinking, this was too easy and too good to be true. I drove the car about 5 miles with the top down, then before turning the car off, pressed the button to put the top back up in place. Everything went fine and it looked and felt like it latched tightly down in place. However, I never got the message that the move was complete, and some kind of motor in the back continued to run. I stopped pressing the button for fear of burning up that motor. At this point, I noticed the rear window defogger still was not working. If I pressed the button to retract the top, it would begin to roll the windows down and start that process, but I didn't want to go into the place of business where I was, and have to leave it wide open -so I made sure it was up and secure. All the windows work fine. The remote trunk switch in the door also does not work. Can you help?
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: No.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Of course
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: read what I've already wrote.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: It's mechanically sound, has 75,000 miles, and it's an '07.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually what can fail and cause this type of fault here is a fault with one of the micro switches that sense one of the top components positions.When one of these switches fail it sends an incorrect signal on the position of the roof and the top will stop operating in some cases and the motor may still try and run without a certain latch releasing.There are several of these micro switches on your model here so what will need to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the top position sensors/switches to help locate the one at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete