tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop...25yrs

I have a 1994 firebird and the cooling fan only comes on

Customer Question

i have a 1994 firebird and the cooling fan only comes on with the ac
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: i did just flush the radiator and don't see any signs of leaking from the hoses. also the thermostat seems to be working. not sure how to check the airflow? when the fan is on i can feel the warm air
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: started by flushing the radiator because it was running hot but then noticed the fan wasn't on even though the gauge show 210. Turned on the ac and the fan came on. Checked some fuses
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well that is part of is that the gauge never gets to the red, but when it get past the middle of gauge the car acts noticeably different. That is why I started to look at the cooling system. I flush the radiator and took a quick trip and the temp started to climb so I turn on the heater and that seem to help bring the temp down. When I got home and turned the heat off the temp was about 210 but when I opened the hood the fan was off. Turning on the ac got the fan to turn on

ok,,will the fan come on at 220deg?

does it get hotter when sitting at an idle or when driving out on the road?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it does get hotter at a idle and cools some when moving. Once it gets past the middle it doesn't return, but the strange thing is that the car will become unresponsive at that point. I keep getting bombard with offers to get more stuff if I pay more and I don't wish to continue. I know its not you so i won't rate you badly, but was looking for some suggestions not a bunch of up selling.

i understand,,ignore those offers..

ok,,sense you have worked on the cooling system,lets try bleeding it,,you may now have air in the system..

lets bleed it this way

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

if the fan for sure isnt coming on,the problem may be the ect[engine coolant temperature] sensor

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help