Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2003 Pontiac grand am GT 3.4 engine : 111,000. It

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Pontiac grand am GT 3.4 engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 111,000. It will not start, only with starting fluid, my mechanic has changed everything in the fuel system, from fuel pump to mass air flow sensor. Changed the ignition cylinder. Still won't start. He is stumped. I'm just confused. Any suggestions?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It is at my mechanic shop been there since Saturday
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

So the two main reasons you get a no start on these engines is a bad PCM or a bad A/C BFC fuse.

Both can be fairly easily tested for if you have a scan tool and a multi-meter. Do you know if either of these items has been checked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They read the computer and it was reading a bad mass air flow sensor that is the reason why they put that part on. They cleared the codes in the car. They are thinking it is the camshaft positioning sensor.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It could be a bad crank position sensor or cam position sensor, but it would be easy to tell; there would be no RPM data when cranking the engine when reading it with a scan tool.

I would check the AC BFC fuse, then check for RPM data when cranking. If no scan tool is available you could replace the crank sensor and then the cam sensor to see if it will start.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you need additional help with this vehicle or did you get it sorted out?