Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

No issue at all, just having fun fixing up a 1999 grand am :

Customer Question

No issue at all, just having fun fixing up a 1999 grand am
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: What is the best way to get rid of the "Security" light which always shows up solid on my dash. I know if it is flashing the PassKey system will disable the injectors, mine is just always solid. I was on this page to see how hard it is to change a serpentine belt.
JA: Have you checked the dashboard control switch? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Fuses yes, where is the dash control switch?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, I've read the resistor fix and have the parts, but haven't done anything yet as I have to get the switch fixed as it is under recall.
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

The best way to get rid of the Security light is to replace the factory PASSLOCK sensor with one you make yourself from parts you buy at a place like Radio Shack.

Not found in any official GM repair manual, this subject has been addressed ad nauseam by many on internet articles. Click here to see what I consider to be the best of those articles, as viewed from my perspective as a professional technician.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.