Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Mcintosh and I have a question about a 98' Pontiac firebird

Customer Question

Hello,my name is ***** ***** and I have a question about a 98' Pontiac firebird with a v6. When turning the key to start the vehicle it will not turn over,the theft system light isn't on, have replaced key and key switch and still will not work.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I checked the park neutral switch, and yes it is in park,does not have the wheel lock feature. You can cross the starter over and it will run for like five seconds and then shut off. I also replaced the anti theft relay.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes mam
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the key switch on the side the steering column, replaced the key, replaced anti theft relay, checked all grounds,checked the alternator and battery, replaced the starter, would the power locks have anything to do wit it not wanting to start? If so they don't work.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: No just need to find out why it will not start, and I have been working on this vehicle for 3 weeks now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

1st thing to ask is if the dash is lighting up as it should ?as if the dash is cold and dark then the ECU won't be powered up

I'd suggest to 1st check if the ECU / PCM fuse has 12V with the ignition on

if it has then I'd move onto checking the connections to the crank sensor and consider replacing it with a new part#

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
all dash lights at working
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I used a code scanner and the code was Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

OK in that case the security system isn't working correctly then

I'd 1st suggest to replace the battery in the keyfob and then ensure that the car battery is fully charged and also

then I'd try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect thebattery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I connecting battery cables together for 10 mins it won't do nothing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the battery is fully charged
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok

if we can't clear the DTC then either there's a fault with the key or there's a short on the theft deterrent circuit

the attached diagram should help you trace the dark blue wire from the body control module and check it for damage / hard sections