Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

The vehicle will not start. Battery is good, starter is

Customer Question

The vehicle will not start. Battery is good, starter is good. All electrical systems come on when the key is turned but the starter will not turn over.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I have tried to start it in park as well as neutral. Neitherworks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

What is the year make model and engine/trans of it please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2006 grand prix 3.8 engine
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks.

Does the starter click when the key is turned?

Do you know if there is power to the starter relay?

Power at the starter wires?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The starter does not click. It is a brand new starter.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. What is the voltage at the starter and the starter relay? How is the 'starter' fuse in the under hood fuse box?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Volt meter reads 12. Fuse is intact.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Okay, do you have voltage at 2 of the terminals at the starter relay? Also, is there a ground at one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. That could very well be in the trans position sensor. The sensor tells the PCM when the trans is in Park or Neutral, then the PCM activates the starter relay.

There is a test for the starting system that does require a scan tool to see what the PCM is reading.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions and wiring diagram in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

I have attached a wiring diagram for the starting system, you can use it to track down any voltage drops in the system. Thanks

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Where did you go?