Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics

The Charging System Failure light came on in my 2006 Pontiac

Customer Question

The Charging System Failure light came on in my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. When the indicator came on, my power steering went out as well.
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: It will barely turn, but this all happened after I drove through a puddle yesterday.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The power steering isn't working and the Charging System Failure light is on, but my car will still run.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It'd be cheaper for me.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: My catalytic converter has been bored out because it was clogged and I recently had the mass airflow sensor changed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

-Is this the 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engine?

-I see here you plan on making the repair yourself- do you have access to a set of tools?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a gt. 6 cylinder with a super charger. And yes I have access to tools for the repair.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, great!

From what you are describing, it sounds like the problem will be with the Serpentine Belt. This belt runs the Alternator and Power Steering Pump. So if these aren't spinning, no charging and no power steering. So, open the hood and check the belt. It's on the passenger's side of the engine. If the belt is loose, check the tensioner. It should not be easy to turn by hand and should have no play. If it does, this is the root of the problem and it will need to be replaced. If the tensioner checks good, replacing the belt should solve the problem (as long as other pulleys are in tact). Rotate the tensioner in a counter-clockwise direction. Route the belt. Slowly release the tensioner. For an image view of the tensioner and belt routing guide, click here:

Please remember to do the right thing and leave a rating using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
If you have any further question, please ask!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you have any other questions on this issue?