rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Left turn signal does not work; 2002 grand prix. hazard

Customer Question

left turn signal does not work; 2002 grand prix. hazard lights work, brake lights work, running lights work, right turn signal works
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: checked the bulb; fuse works both sides, right turn works
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's about it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried different bulbs, switched right and left sides, no help. left turn signal still does not work. does turn flasher work right and left sides independently?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: I maintain it well, just discovered this problem this morning. the flasher switch started cycling fast so I looked and found this problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The turn signal switch is most likely the cause, only part of it is working. It's also called a multi function switch.

Thanks, Ron